First off, I love this forum. It's deeply informative on a subject I've come to love (sailing in the Virgin Islands) over the last 30 years, and I especially appreciate the way you all interact in a familiar and respectful tone (mostly). In light of this, I want to go out on a candid limb here and pose a revealing question. Over the years, I've been first mate or skipper on 20 or more bareboat charters to the BVI, during which I think it's fair to say I've developed proficiency at the fundamentals of handling a sailboat in open water. However, the one area that continues to give me profound heebie-jeebies is docking, particularly considering I usually only do it once or twice a trip. As a result, in this one notable respect I consider myself an abject novice (with sincere apologies to those who may find themselves fending off against my sloppy entrances). Thus, I would really be grateful for practical tips on proven maneuvering techniques in taking a berth without injury to person or property. p.s. Assume I have the use of bow thrust and will be navigating a 45 foot monohull.

Shifty from Indiana