Just to lighten the mood...

A few years ago I flew into St. Kitts from I forget where. But it was a very small plane. My passport, and all of my other important stuff was in my modest carry-on.

At the door of the plane, the pilot (there was no other cabin crew) said that the plane couldn't accommodate any more carry-on, so he'll 'throw it in back'. No problem.....EXCEPT that my bag wasn't given back to me on the tarmac at St. Kitts...but taken with the other checked luggage inside the terminal.

I had no passport to give the immigration guy, and even though we both could SEE MY BAG at the baggage claim, I couldn't get it because I hadn't cleared immigration.

The little plane was long gone, and it was the end of the day. Besides my onward ticket was of course also in my bag.

I tried to make my case in a calm, reasonable fashion...but no deal. No immigration means no customs, and no bag.

I was traveling alone, so I just settled in on the floor and waited for them to sort it out.

After a couple of hours, a very irritated immigration guy gave me a proper (incomprehensible) lecture, and allowed me to proceed to my bag...but only to retrieve my passport.

I thanked everyone for their help and skedaddled!