My wife called our base which was relatively close and requested emergency assistance. I am not sure exactly how long it took for cavalry to arrive with a boat to tow us back but it must have been the longest 30 minutes of my life even though our anchor was holding once it reached about 40’ of water and we had drifted to within 100 feet of the shore.

The rough water also made it feel like it was much longer than it really was since our boat was taking a beating with the large swells. During this waiting period we had also managed to prepare a rear anchor for emergency deployment and get life jackets and other saved equipment to our entire crew.

The tow back was a little challenging given the need to get lines across in rough seas and the issue of towing a relatively large boat. Our crew and the charter base manager did a great job and aside from a couple minor scrapes from the tow everyone was in good shape. I can tell you that pulling up the anchor so the charter base crew could throw us lines was especially unnerving since I was giving up our life line to not slipping backwards into the rocks.