Even if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I can't imagine it's even worse than portrayed in the media. Yes, there are many problems and obstacles still to be overcome, but my best guess is that the island, while not perfect, will be open for tourism by March or April. Projecting the progress I saw after only five weeks to what will be accomplished over the next five months, I am encouraged.
Like Topper, I encountered quite a few people who have been displaced, but they managed somehow to secure alternative temporary living arrangements for themselves while they get their "normal" lives back together. The difference is that they are not sitting around wringing their hands at their fates, but actually trying to do something positive about it.
If you want a list of problems on the island to help you justify your negative perceptions, I can provide that. But I prefer the positive approach being taken I by everyone I encountered. Yes, the patient is still on the operating table, but the prognosis is good.
I guess only time will tell which one of us is right.