I thought I'd repost my comments about PH from several months ago. Still stand by my thoughts.....

I know PH in SXM, causes trepidation because some feel it will attract an undesirable younger demographic. I disagree. I don't think PH is going to attract any different type of tourist than SXM normally attracts. Here is why:

1. PH is NOT really going to attract young people. Quite frankly it is a very tired brand. It used to be everywhere and now they are down to 8 restaurants! (bankrupt Twice - Delisted stock) The hotels are relatively new thing and they only have one established hotel in the entire US (Las Vegas - actually owned by Caesars). I have been to that hotel. Its just fine, for "Vegas". (that is saying a lot for me because I visit Vegas often, always for business and never for fun) Caesars is most likely franchising/licensing the name and that may change at a drop of a hat. Its Vegas.

2. PH Hollywood has only one other functioning hotel outside the US. Its in Goa. Why? I don't know .... They have another AI resort opening in Costa Rica soon, but that seems to be it. SO.... I believe this SXM venture is pure licensing of the name and who knows where that would go....the whole thing seems desperate and destined to not happen. (OK- totally wrong here...but it will be interesting if this development remains a PH - See above)
I was
3. SXM will always change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. I know many lament that the days when it was sleepy little island are now long gone. I wish I was there to see it. But I was one of those "young" people who arrived on the island in the early '00s. I have seen many positive changes. And what attracted me was the beaches, low cost of living (once you get here), and accessibility to just about everything you need (groceries, etc...). We are snorkeling beach bums who love to cook and don't dine out often. Setting up in a beach side accommodation is all we wanted and that's what will keep us coming back. Does the island's economy benefit from us? I hope so.

Final note. Recently I read a comments on a SXM Facebook group. There was a discussion between two long time SXM visitors about how they hated the "new" young people showing up and ruining their peace at SBR (Pelican). One actually bragged how they would stake out a pool and tell kids (lying) that would arrive that it was an Adults only pool. Others applauded there ingenuity and said they did the same, I just about lost it ....but did not comment. I hope to see all of them soon and plop my daughter right next to them.... Point is the island will change. It will always will change, but so should attitudes. It will never become an, Orlando, Cancun, Padre, Vegas...but that's another thread.
[/i][i]

Never walk onto a job site with empty hands. - Source Unknown