Originally Posted by dolfer
Just Visited the Island on Oasis of Seas, we vacationed SXM last June for 2 weeks, Had a fabulous time.. last Thursday we took a car around and what a Junk yard did we see, it was so depressing !!! SXM has a lot of work to do to get the tourist to come back, I am sure most of the 6000 guests on Oasis had nothing to say but "I would never come back to this place...".there was not that feeling I want to return. Even with new construction it will not change the appearance of the complete utter failure to even care about the return of the Tourist industry. Why waste money on such a dump when there are so many other islands that want the tourist dollar. SXM has better wake up and clean this island up, the cruise industry and the Time Share Industry are not coming back anytime soon.

This post bothered me when I first read it, it bothered me later when I thought about it again during dinner and I actually woke up in the night thinking about it again. It is so vicious, unforgiving and close minded that I can really do nothing but shake my head. Obviously the poster has no clue as to the challenges that the island has and will be facing for a while to come. They apparently had a fabulous time in June 2017 but seeing the results of nature's destruction has led them to forget those good memories and condemn the island as no place for cruisers or timesharers to spend their money. Sad. All I can hope is that others do not feel the same way.

I saw a report that Port St Maarten was going to welcome it's millionth visitor this year, today, if the majority of cruisers had the mindset of Rowiep, then the ships would have stopped coming early in the year and the million milestone today would not have happened. If Rowiep thought the island was "Such a dump" in June he should have seen it in November, like I did, it had come some a long way between November and our last visit in July, and although not back to it's pre-Irma self, is well on the way