I'm not going to take side on this but I do question some things. A hotel will replace a hotel; workers at that previous hotel will again have jobs; construction by a Miami firm isn't adding jobs for SXM people. This new hotel will be all inclusive so those staying there will seldom venture out to other restaurants.

I agree with sasal about getting existing places back and running but a new venture to replace an old one doesn't fall into that category. On our last visit I was surprised to see the boardwalk area all back and better than normal so quickly. My first thought was the people of SXM need income and this will bring it from cruise ships. But then I saw the tent city, 7 months after Irma. People living is squaller. And I felt the government should have done more for those people that the boardwalk.

So we all have mixed emotions, different opinions. I, for one, agree that the Dutch side has turned an eye and let building run amok where as French side enforces their laws, such as building height to maintain an island feel.

Thankfully there are two sides to this island to serve the interests of all.