Where are you flying from to get to Philadelphia? If it's Cleveland or Cincinnati you should be okay, but AA has a reputation for delaying or even cancelling flights from smaller hubs (i.e., Dayton). One time our flight from our home city of 100,000 to Philly was delayed 30 minutes waiting for three passengers who were delayed and called ahead requesting the flight not leave without them. Another time the flight was just flat out cancelled, and they offered to fly us to PHL the day before but offered no assistance to put us up for the night, share the cost of a hotel, provide food vouchers, etc. And, yet another time they cancelled our return flight because of weather and couldn't get us back home for another two days (so we flew instead to Pittsburgh and rented a car to get home). Not to mention the time we didn't get our luggage for one week because of a baggage handler's strike.

Honestly, I'm not trying to worry you. The 1 hour and 20 minutes will be enough time if you have NO delays, and the shuttle bus between terminals does work well but it is not as efficient say as the SkyTrain in Atlanta or other airports I've been thru. Sometimes you do get stuck waiting for it. As for your luggage I would check only one large suitcase (don't risk checking two), and bring a carry-on little suitcase that will fit in the overhead compartments. That way if your luggage doesn't make the connection you'll have a change of clothes, etc. for your first day on SXM.

I'm not attempting to challenge what others are saying to you on this message board, but personally I would fly through Charlotte every single time over Philadelphia. This airline just doesn't seem to care nor do many of their employees at this particular airport. Good luck and I hope this all works out for you!