maytrix said:
There's no built in method for securing it - under normal situations its fine. We were going through a channel and had rough surf causing the stern to get low enough to the water to catch and flip the dinghy enough to lose the gas tank. It's not as if we found it upside down, it righted itself, but tipped enough that the gas tank fell out.

This was not our first time on this boat either - just the right circumstances for this to happen. The only mistake made is that we probably should have removed the gas tank all the other times as well.

The dinghy in the davits is not supposed to be able to swing. If nothing else lines from the dingy should be used to secured the dinghy from free swinging. The boat should also be at angle to minimize the water weight in the dingy if you take a wave a flood the dink with sudden sea water. The load created by the swinging weight is never good for the boat, davit or dingy.

My point always make sure you understand how to secure the dinghy for your charter boat before you leave the dock. If you look back and your dingy is swinging on the davits something is not correct and the dinghy is not secure.

At all times the motor and fuel tank should be protected by a line or spliced wire to the dinghy.

It can really help to break down the roles. One or two own the galley and never interfere with their program. Someone must be the master of the vessel, even if you rotate that responsibility daily. I always do my best to have a dinghy captain and master on our trips.