agrimsrud said:
It's always a trade off to bring "stuff" or go light. Everything we pack I try to think if we can make due without or if I can just as easily pick it up in the ilons.

Things we now bring that noone else has mentioned:

- a couple of large mesh laundry bags. Huh you say? We stick the swim fins/goggles/etc in the bags and throw them down in the aft storage locker. It's much easier to get a bag of stuff out vs. standing on your head in a six feet deep hole trying to snag that last swim fin. Or having all that junk loose in the cabin or cockpit and stepping all over it.

- A 12 volt light that I can plug in at the cockpit table and hang from the bimini top. It gets dark and it's nice to have some light. Some boats will have a light for you. Some will not. It's small and it's worth bringing just in case.

- Water tight storage box. Small made out of transparent plastic. To put your small camera plus wallet in when you pack your shore bag - just in case it goes for a swim...

- Spare pair of sun glasses and reading glasses. Just in case you break a pair.

- We make a bit of food on board. So we bring four or five steel wool pads to clean up with. A lot easier to clean up that frying pan vs. a sponge with soap! And yes - I'm sure we could find that in the ilons as well but seems like we forget and it's small and light weight so why not (we pack a couple of duffel bags with stuff for the five of us).

- always pack a good attitude. Things will happen that you don't expect. Sometimes that might even be stressful or make you angry or sad - like when I stuck my camera in the plastic zip lock baggy and then later stuck the boat keys into the same baggy. No problem you say? Well I had swam ashore with those keys and the "float" on the key chain was no float at all - it was full of water. So I marinated my camera in the water in the plastic bag. Smart one!

- This year I'm also bringing a hand held depth finder. This is probably over the top but.... It drives me nuts that I don't really know if the depth finder on the boat has been calibrated or if someone has decided that a one or two foot safety factor should be added. I think that's nonsense - the depth is the depth. So yes... it's over the top but I'm bringing my own hand held depth finder. Just because I can and it's my vacation so I'm bringing what I want. So there.

I cannot figure out how I would practically use a handheld depth sounder from the helm of a boat?

I do take the time to figure out with both help from the guys on the dock and my own eyes and mask what the reading would be when we touch bottom. That is all you really need for BVI anchorages and navigation.