If you choose a Moorings crewed yacht, they have permanent crew and you should be able to get all of the information about them in advance. If you choose to bareboat and just get a Moorings captain, not so much. They need to keep their captains' schedules loose.

I'd caution you about 'hiring' any captains off this board. Keep it extremely private, if you do. Amazingly, this board is monitored by the BVI guv. Here's my long story, which I'll try to shorten. I planned a trip to the BVI a few years back, intending to spend a week working on my (private) boat. I was just going to park her in Great Harbor, Peter, one of my favorite spots, and spend a week varnishing her brightwork and doing some maintenance. Since I would be alone, I thought I'd be a nice guy and offer a free berth to someone who might want to join me and use her as a base to do whatever. There would be no cost at all - not even a cheap bottle of rum! I did so on this board. (I later nixed the whole thing, because I specifically stated a male (I'm happily married!) and I was accused of being sexist....it was a whole PIA thing.) Anywho, when I arrived in the BVI, I was visited, at my marina, by two agents from I don't know what departments demanding that I prove that I wasn't running an illegal charter business! No more trying to be a nice guy.

When we ran our crewed charterboat, a hundred years ago, here's what we did (and what virtually every other captain did): On the first night we'd have a crew meeting, explaining some of the 'rules' of the boat (toilets, water, etc), and we'd try to arrive at a loose itinerary, base entirely upon what our guests wanted to do. If they were unfamiliar with the BVI, we'd plan our itinerary based upon their priorities (snorkeling, hiking, bars, etc.). If they were return guests, often they planned the itinerary themselves, and we were happy to follow it. We would NEVER steer them to a place based upon OUR comfort or convenience. That's just wrong.

Also...we would NEVER allow our guests to operate the dinghy by themselves...but would be happy to take them wherever, whenever. (The dinghy is the lifeblood of the charter, and one stupid mishap can ruin the entire week!) We had two handheld VHF radios that they could use to call us when they wanted to be dropped off on a remote beach, or picked up at the Bitter End. No cell phones back then!

We treated our guests as if they were the 'Master' of the vessel, and we were the crew. We made all decisions concerning safety, navigation, operations and left the fun stuff to our guests. That's what you should expect!