In October (2019) we chartered a cat from BVIYC. We chose the boat specifically because we wanted to try a boat with a water maker. At the boat briefing, the briefer showed us how to use the water maker but failed to get it to work at the dock. His explanation was that the water was to dirty to make the machine work properly! He said it should work okay once we out at other locations we would be mooring at. We accepted this explanation and left for Benures Bay. Tried the water maker again, per instructions, with the same results-no water. Called the base and they reluctantly agreed to send someone to check it out “if” we moved to the Bight since they were going there to help another boat! Reluctantly, we moved from what should be Avery clean mooring spot to the Bight.
When the crew finally arrived, The same guy who briefed us at the base came aboard and went through the same procedures as before with the same results. Again blamed it on water quality! So, we had a10 day charter on a boat we paid extra for with no water maker. (The ice maker also was not working by this time and that’ wasn’t repaired either.
When we returned to base and wrote about the issue on the debriefing form, the base office worker said it was too bad but the fine print says they weren’t responsible for any extra equipment on the boat. When I said I chose the boat because it had a water maker, she argued that the watermaker was not list as equipment on the webpage. It clearly was at the time I reserved the boat because that is how I chose it. This incident not only colored our experience while sailing, still bothers me to this day. Sorry for the rant, but you asked 😜