I first rented from Moorings 12 years ago. It was a fantastic experience from the quality of the boat to the customer service. We didn't have one issue. We rented again in July 2018. It was a disaster. The customer service booking the reservation was great. No issues and very helpful. We rented a 4800 Exclusive and stayed on it at the base the night before. We did the captain's briefing that night. The next morning it was hectic on the docks as usual. We were ready to go and but it took a long time to get items on the boat (cooler, paddle boards)...I had to go to the front desk numerous times. Finally the lady from the front desk just left her post and helped me because she was frustrated that they were not bringing me the items. Eventually we we off. Unfortunately, we had numerous boat issues.

- Winch had some mechanical issue (took apart and saw some metal pieces that were loose). I seemed to get it working again.
- Generator wouldn't stay on. It would crank but not stay on.

I called customer service and they walked me through taking apart the generator houses and washing them out as well as taking out the filter and cleaning it. Once I did that it solved the genset problem. The next morning we were off to Anegada Unfortunately, when we came off the mooring I realized that we didn't have propulsion starboard side. We must have lost it coming into Leverick Bay. The engine would rev but prop wouldn't turn. I called customer service again. We tried some things but they said they needed to send diver. Diver came with a new prop. He said he didn't think that was the issues but he changed the prop and we tried it again. No luck. I called customer service again. They said they would need to bring us a new boat and it would be the next day. We were not happy. To their credit, they hurried the boat delivery. When we got back from dinner at 8:30 another boat was tied up to ours. We preceded to move all of our gear from one boat to the new one. Not exactly what we wanted to do at 9:00 at night. The next morning we said goodbye to the Moorings guy and the bad boat. He actually took it offshore to fish even though he had one engine. We were again off to Anegada! We dropped off the mooring ball and I looked at the chart plotter...no data and the boat looked like it was on land. I scurried to get back on the mooring ball. I called customer service again. It seems they delivered a boat with no chip in the plotter. They then called the guy who went fishing in our old boat and had him come back to give us the chip. We waited a few hours. Eventually we got the chip and were off to Anegada.

The new boat seemed pretty good. One day the bilge light at the bridge seemed to be staying on longer than I anticipated so I called customer service and left a message for someone to call me...they never did. On the 2nd to last day, the autopilot went out and quit working. By this time I had had it with customer service and I just dealt with it and went without auto pilot.

Returning to base was a bit frustrating. We radioed ahead and told them we were approaching. I called 3-4 times and talked to them to tell them that I'm holding at the end of Pier A waiting for docking assignment. I waited and waited while other boats were passing in both directions. If you've been there you know this is an awkward spot to keep a 48 ft boat stationary. We waited about 30 minutes. I called numerous times. Eventually it got resolved. Only other issues is that the dry bag had holes in it so we couldn't use it.

During my debrief I explained the numerous boat issues to the guy who checked us in. He was great (Captain Morgan). He suggested that I speak to the manager about my experience. I went to the desk 5 times...apparently the manager was nowhere to be found. I left a note with the issues we had and asked him to contact me. I left phone and email. I never heard from him.

Later in the pool and on the ferry back to STT I heard numerous other boat issues from several other groups. It seemed everyone had problems. Some where significant like the generator not working for the entire week, others were more minor like they were supposed to have a TV onboard and they didn't.

This experience was disappointing to say the least. We still had a good time but it was a bit frustrating as well. We heard that Moorings pulled boats in from all over the world to bet them to the BVIs and they likely pulled the boats in and put them in service without doing proper inspections or verifying that they were ready.

While that was a tough experience we rented again from SunSail last year and the boat was great. The only issue was that the shower faucet on the transom broke. Interestingly there no shut off valve anywhere. We eventually figured out a solution. It was a minor issue and the only one we had all week.