Thanks for all your input...so far here is our deal and a few more questions. We are on NCl Epic balcony mini suite. We booked our air ourselves and got a great fare for Business class with only one stop so excited about that. We are going into Rome 3 days early and will do this on our own with guide books, and the help of someone we know living there at the moment. We have one shore excursion booked through Joe Bananas and that is a small (8 people) for 2/3 the ship costs. Hotels are done on the front and back end of the trip as well. Here are my questions...

Transfers...

1.Thought about the train into Rome from airport but after lots of reviews, etc. think it is wiser to take a car or taxi transfer. Any thoughts on regular taxis? Looking at Bobs Limo for private car which is the same price.

2. What about taking shuttles to cruise ship? Looks like they might drop you off a long way from the ships...would you think it wiser to pay the money for private car that drops you at the gang plank or is there bus service to your ship if at the last spot from drop off? Could be as much as $50 extra for this and not sure worth the $.

Excursions...

1.This seems to be my biggest dilemma...Cruise ship vs on your own vs smaller company or share a tour. We are doing the smaller company share a tour in Naples. Trying to figure out Florence, Barcelona, Palma Mallorca and Cannes...any insite on those ports if you have been there? Seems like Florence you are on the bus most of the time with little free time to shop or wander around. Having not done a cruise before wondering about this. I will want to pick up some gifts, etc.

That's it for now. Seems the more I read on cruise critic and boards the info is overwhelming in some ways. Thanks in advance for any and all info.