I just got back from our trip where I flipped over to the "dark side." I have 2 boys who are 6'4" and our last trip on a mono had been a bit tight. I was a little worried about manuevering the 42 foot Cat but if you are that good at manuevering a monohull you will have no problems with a Cat. It was easier to dock, much more comfortable for the 7 of us (3 boys over 6 feet, my husband and I, my daughter and my 83 year old mother), faster speeds on a broad reach and while motoring and a lot more privacy for all of us with the 4 cabins and 4 heads. I am sold and don't know if we can go back to chartering a monohull when we have the kids. Downsides: it didn't sail very well at all on a close reach, tight spaces were a little stressful just because it was so wide. Someone told me it was like driving a tennis court and they were exactly right! You do have to rememember to reef much more often and earlier than a monohull. I'm a little anal so I took an online course about sailing a Cat that was fabulous. It was http://www.nauticed.org/ I say go for it and enjoy your trip.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]