Like good Boy and Girls Scouts, Katherine and I got to the airport at 12:15 for the 3:00 scheduled departure. When we arrived the flight board said a delay until 3:35(that always concerns me). No explanation from the AA folks. I checked on line and saw there was a maintenance problem. Fixing that I certainly understand (and hope they always do). Then we were told the plane would arrive at around six PM, but since we were having some bad storms, they couldn't land and had to divert to STX. I understand that. Then they told us that STX was having severe storms and the plane couldn't take off. I understand that. Several of us started checking the weather in STX and it was partly cloudy. We were told that the plane would take off from STX in five minutes for the next four hours. I don't understand that, that no one could find out what was really going on. Then finally at about 10:30, they announced the landing of 2219. Much applause. At 10:45, the AA manager announced that the pilot said they were out of hours, and couldn't fly until 10:00 this morning (Friday). Now that I don't understand! When that pilot was sitting in STX at six o'clock, could he not figure out they would be "out of hours" by the time they finally did land in SXM? What a crock! We could have been taken to the hotel, had a decent dinner, and got a good night's sleep. Instead, we got the taxi, meal and hotel vouchers at about 11:30 or later (depending on your place in line). So we got to Maho at 12:05, and the only place open to eat was the Karoake bar, what a thrill that was, the worst burger I have had in SXM second only to Pedro's. So I understand the maintenance part, and some of the weather part. What I don't understand is the 4 1/2 wait before they told us the flight was cancelled. I consider that a total lack of concern and respect for their passengers. And yes Pat, like you, I will be sending a letter to AA tomorrow, probably not a tactful one, and doubt they could care less.

Dan