1997 British Virgin Islands Fisheries Act

COMMERCIAL, SPORT AND PLEASURE FISHING requires a fishing license and the boat you are fishing from must be registered (VI Fisheries Regulations Part I & II.

from 2003 press coverage:

B.V.I. authorities seized the 38-foot Black Pearl on June 13 on the North Drop during the Virgin Islands Gamefishing Club's annual June Moon tournament.
The boat owner, Scott Niddrie of St. Thomas, and its captain, Jimmy Estrasa, were later charged with fishing in B.V.I. waters without a license and registration, crimes that carry a maximum penalty of a $500,000 fine.
Magistrate Gail Charles on Tuesday signed a consent order agreed to by the B.V.I. Attorney General's Office and lawyers representing Niddrie and Estrasa. Under its terms, the boat will be released after its owners pay a $15,000 cash bond to the court.
Oscar Ramjeet, a lawyer representing Niddrie and Estrasa, said the money would be paid immediately so the boat could be released as soon as possible.

Old law with new or renewed plans to enforce the old law along with many others. There is stuff on new enforcement and fees each day in the BVI now. Yesterday booze and computer duties were the story.