jboothe said:
StormJib said:
There is also a 2003 revision I have never found or read.

StormJib - I think the link I posted is for the 2003 version of the regulations.

I really don't mind paying some fees and permits when I feel that I am getting something out of it. But this is just a blatant effort to increase revenue that (from what I see) will not in anyway improve the product upon which the fees are being levied. It would be different if these fees were going to VISAR or a boating service or something. I could understand but that doesn't appear to be the case.

JBOOTHE I will stand corrected the doc you provide clearly has both dates.

STATUTORY INSTRUMENT 2003 NO. 20
FISHERIES ACT, 1997
(No. 4 of 1997)
Fisheries Regulations, 2003
[Gazetted 19th June, 2003]
The Minister, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 79 of the
Fisheries Act, 1997, makes the following Regulations:....

No one likes rising taxes or charges of any kind. In the 40 plus years I have traveled to the BVI and across the Caribbean there have clearly been investments and improvements in infrastructure. Roads, bridges, road safety, schools, hospitals and more have all improved in a unique way. Probably most important to us on the water. Potable water and greater sanitary sewage have improved. All of that costs money. Across the US we have witnessed states and local government raisings sales and property taxes to cover the ever growing need for local operating cash. The BVI and USVI are no different. In January the USVI raise the taxes to 12.5% on anything anyone sleeps in for less than 90 days. The USVI’s hotel room tax is 12.5 percent of the gross room rental, meaning it includes the gross room rate plus any additional charges such as energy surcharges and maintenance fees.

"Crucially, the tax applies to every guest that resides in a hotel, villa, timeshare, inn or any other sleeping accommodation for less than 90 days."

I know many wish the Caribbean would return to the 1950's. The majority of the residents have no interest in that. Time and needs more forward. That can only happen if the BVI can find greater revenue somewhere. Hopefully the yachting lobby can get their collaborative act together and get the best possible outcome for the new taxes and fees that are certainly on their way in the BVI.

My push is to bundle the charges as simply as possible at the lowest total cost to everyone. If jobs must be created. Create those jobs in real maintenance and rational enforcement. Keep the moorings sound and eliminate the anchoring anywhere near sensitive areas.