Member Spotlight
casailor53
casailor53
Rincón PR
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (John, Time Will Tell, nevar37, RickG, ColoBoater, tpcook, Fred, OceanSong, RonDon, taraavo, Alltech63, hokiesailor, charlie, mark37, JeanneB, PML, Kevin_B, deliveryskipper, KirkB, ericlut, lcote, MrEZgoin, metsfan1, pburke40, pandpfromcanada, NumberCruncher, ndfaninnc, Uksimonusa, Kmon, bbeach, Sea_Skyman, 11 invisible), 961 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Family charter in Grenada/Grenadines #109946
10/18/2016 03:42 PM
10/18/2016 03:42 PM
Pacific NW
S
snmhanson Offline OP
Traveler
snmhanson  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Pacific NW
Looking for advice on a possible family charter in the Grenadines next April. We have chartered many times in the Virgin Islands (including SVIs) and this past June we did a charter in the Leewards from Antigua to St. Martin. If we do this trip I think we would likely charter out of Grenada and do a 8-9 day loop through the Grenadines, or possibly a one-way from St. Vincent to Grenada. The Grenadines look amazing but I do have a few concerns.

First, I've read (CSSN and Noonsite) that there are some potential security and safety issues for sailors down there including robberies on boats while the crew is sleeping and even a few assaults. If it was me and a bunch of my guy friends I wouldn't worry too much. However, I don't want to put my wife and three kids in harms way. I would be especially worried about sleeping with the hatches open at night (usually we charter boats with A/C but I was thinking of trying out a Catana 42 which wouldn't have A/C on it). I understand that no one can say with any certainty that there is nothing to worry about, but should I be concerned enough to consider not chartering there with my family right now?

Second, will my kids (15, 10 and 9) like the Grenadines? They did enjoy the Leewards - particularly Barbuda and St. Barths - and of course they always like the beaches and other diversions of the BVIs. Just want to make sure there is an adequate mix of activities for both the adults and kids. We generally like a mix of low key beaches as well slightly more lively settings with dining options and other activities.

Third, what will the sailing be like in April? Seems that the trip from Grenada to the Grenadines could be pretty much nose into the wind. Not that we can't handle it and we do enjoy the exhilaration of sailing, but at the same time we don't want to spend half of our trip hiding behind the saloon while we grind straight into 25 knots with 8'+ swells (though 25 knots with 4-6' swells wouldn't be so bad).

Finally, how crowded would the anchorages be compared to the BVIs that time of year? Any difficulties finding room to anchor or an open mooring ball? We're not looking for desolation and we do like other families and people around us, we just don't want every day to be a race to the anchorage like we often find in the BVIs.

Thanks for any answers to the above and any other input/advice that anyone can offer.

Matt

*Mods - if this would better fit in the BVI/Bareboating section please feel free to move it.

Sponsors
Re: Family charter in Grenada/Grenadines [Re: snmhanson] #109947
10/19/2016 02:12 PM
10/19/2016 02:12 PM
S
Sunset_Sammy Offline
Traveler
Sunset_Sammy  Offline
Traveler
S
The World Arc 2016-2017 is showing their Grenada Rendezvous is scheduled for March 17, 2017 and their St. Lucia Rendezvous April 5, 2017 (worldcruising.com). The dates for the World ARC 2017-2018 are March 16, 2018 & April 4 2018 respectively. Skyelark is participating in the 2017-2018 WARC and their charter dates for the Grenada to St. Lucia leg are 3/26/18 - 4/8/18 which looks like a little over a week in Grenada after the rendezvous. So projecting back to the 2016-2017 WARC it might be assumed that many of the participating boats would leave Grenada around March 25th 2017.
Scheduling your charter around that time would give you the benefits of traveling when a fleet of boats are also traveling in the Grenadines (safety in numbers) and also there are families participating so your children would have company along the way.
The downside is many of the anchorages are small and good spots may be hard to come by with the rally going through. There are currently 18 boats participating in the rally.

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!
Re: Family charter in Grenada/Grenadines [Re: Sunset_Sammy] #109948
10/20/2016 12:12 PM
10/20/2016 12:12 PM
Colorado and Sailing the World
Maria_and_Steve Offline
Traveler
Maria_and_Steve  Offline
Traveler
Colorado and Sailing the World
April brings much better sailing conditions to the Caribbean, rather than the stronger winds of January - March. Winds try to change to more SE but still are mainly NE with less wind and seas/northerly swells in April.

Coming up from Grenada a stop is usually made in Carriacou and that lessens the beat north-bound.

Glad Skyelark is giving it another try Sammy!

Re: Family charter in Grenada/Grenadines [Re: Maria_and_Steve] #109949
10/20/2016 05:36 PM
10/20/2016 05:36 PM
Pacific NW
S
snmhanson Offline OP
Traveler
snmhanson  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Pacific NW
Thanks for the replies Sammy and Maria/Steve. Makes the trip look more favorable and gets me excited to present it to the family. I'm really hoping to expand our chartering beyond the northern Caribbean and possibly nudge the family a little closer to a more long term sailing plan. Meeting up with some of the Arc families probably wouldn't hurt my cause. Also nice that we are less likely to get into bad weather in April versus earlier in the year - though of course I understand that it can still happen.

Matt

Re: Family charter in Grenada/Grenadines [Re: snmhanson] #109950
10/22/2016 11:18 AM
10/22/2016 11:18 AM
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
caribbeangirl13 Offline
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Offline
Traveler
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
We are a family of 6, 3 kids, grandma and my husband and I. We charter in the Caribbean, typically once a year at Christmas time. We have done the BVI's a lot, SVI's once and the Grenadines once. We are going back to the Grenadines this year. I highly recommend starting in St. Vincent and ending in Grenada. Much nicer sails rather than beating into the wind most of the time. I lived in Grenada as a child so it holds a special place in my heart. The Grenadines are also more of what I remember the Caribbean being like when I was a kid. When we did the trip in 2011, my kids were 12, 12 and 16. They really liked Bequia for the cool wooden boats, the Tobago Cays for turtle watching and lobster BBQ on the beach. Their favorite all time meal to this day was the beach BBQ at PSV. All you can eat lobster, tuna, steak...Pricey but worth it. We will be doing that again this year. We also took a slip at Port Louis Marina in Grenada which allowed them some independent time at the pool and exploring the marina. The Grenadines are definitely more low key...less people, less crowded anchorages, not so much of a party scene although lots of cool little beach bars. My kids are probably more partial to the BVI's for the scene but are super excited to do the Grenadines again. If you want more info. PM me and I can give you more and update you after our trip.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: Family charter in Grenada/Grenadines [Re: caribbeangirl13] #109951
10/25/2016 12:58 AM
10/25/2016 12:58 AM
Pacific NW
S
snmhanson Offline OP
Traveler
snmhanson  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Pacific NW
Thanks caribbeangirl. Sounds like the Grenadines would be a great experience. I think the one-way charter from St. Vincent would be ideal. Only issue is it appears much easier for us to get flights into and out of Grenada than St. Vincent so I think it would be quicker and easier to start and finish there. Being a Spring break trip for us we wouldn't have a lot of time to deal with long layovers or missed/changed flights. I'm all in - just not sure about my wife. We are doing a Virgin Island charter in June and then talking about the Bahamas next November so not sure if she'll go for three charters in a twelve month period. I'll have to see if I can get the kids on my side. Hope to see a trip report from you after your trip.

Thanks again,

Matt

Re: Family charter in Grenada/Grenadines [Re: snmhanson] #109952
10/25/2016 09:02 PM
10/25/2016 09:02 PM
J
Jccarr Offline
Traveler
Jccarr  Offline
Traveler
J
We are doing a one way with Moorings from St Lucia to Grenada in February. The cost of the one way return fee was less than a days rental. Hoping for a beam reach and following seas. Plan is first night on the dock, night 2 at the Petons, night 3 Bequia, night 4 and 5 Tabago cays, night 6 petite St Vincent, night 7 Prickley Bay, day 8 return. Would like a few more days but have a few crew with time constraints. Wanted to get some more open water sailing in on this trip, we should get plenty. We found connections to arrive early afternoon on St Lucia and depart late afternoon from Grenada on Delta. The connections allowed max time on the boat without a extra day for travel. We will let you know how it works out.

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva