Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
George--thanks for the clarification. I knew that the airlines were trying to crack down on fraud, but didn't think there were any plans to eliminate ESA animals flying at all.

I fly often, not as often as George, but in the back of the ship with rest of unwashed. For every person that I see with physical or emotional problems that are obvious (keep in mind that everyone you know well have issues they are dealing with about which you have no clue), there are oodles more seeming to be taking advantage of the “free passage” for an inexpensive fee to get a certificate that until recently was an automatic free pass. Indeed until the crackdown you just had to declare why you needed the pet.

A while back I was in an aisle seat, the passenger in the middle seat had a emotional support Yorkie and her husband or male traveling companion in the middle seat in front of us had an emotional support poodle as well.

The center seat had room under for their carriers, the aisle and window did not. Indeed a cute and friendly dog and a talkative owner who chatted with the lady stranger in window seat throughout the flight . I rarely Initiate conversation on a flight and far prefer reading or using the WiFi when not sleeping. But I did learn that they had a place in Scottsdale as well as their home in St. Louis. ...and it was so easy to get the ESA coat and certificate that anyone could do it and save the animal’s ticket. When she went to the restroom she asked if the lady in window seat would like to hold the dog. She did. When she returned, she told the lady..”you can hold her till we land if you like”, she did. The middle seat occupant then pulled out a book and shudup the rest of the flight.

I’ve seen many coming in to the office for heath certificates proudly displaying their new “jackets.” On the other hand I’ve seen a couple severely wounded veterans in wheelchairs with support dogs in their laps waiting to board flights. I am certain there are many that need those dogs that are not so apparent. I understand the human animal bond better than most. It is a huge connectionfor millions of pet owners. Unfortunately there was an economic reason and a waiting “industry” to entice those who just want to save the $ or have their large pet be allowed to ride up front. It got out of hand. Hopefully those in true need won’t lose the right and those that don’t won’t play the system. Keep in mind this is different than seeing eye dogs or bonafide service animals.