Originally Posted by Maria_and_Steve
The FAA and airlines have modified and are in the process of eliminating the status of an "emotional support animal" flying in a regular cabin. That status may no longer be available. Best to check with the airlines.

There are no plans to try and eliminate ESA animals. What they are trying to do is eliminate the fraud in the program. As I posted earlier both of these tests are supposed to be met.

1) Does the person seeking to use and live with the animal have a disability — i.e., a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities?

(2) Does the person making the request have a disability-related need for an assistance animal? In other words, does the animal work, provide assistance, perform tasks or services for the benefit of a person with a disability, or provide emotional support that alleviates one or more of the identified symptoms or effects of a person's existing disability?

I deal with this at work and often issues arise and we have to sort it out. Usually it involves people with a fear of dogs not wanting to be seated near a ESA. Several times I have mentioned to ESA passengers that we were going to accommodate their disability but might have to move them. Twice I have had the person angrily state they were not disabled! Go figure!