Back in the late 70s I was a flight attendant for Delta, met a guy on a flight who lived on St John, visited several times, quit my job, moved down there and never looked back. Shortly after I moved there my boyfriend, another couple & I sailed to Cane Garden Bay for a party on a Sunday afternoon. It was at Stanley's and we had to swim ashore because there was no dinghy dock then. At some point we walked down to Callwood's distillery and had some rum. The whole experience was surreal and I fell in love with Tortola that day. We came over often to pick mushrooms & party. Ah the good old days....
I moved back to the States in 1986 but still visit regularly. In fact, I've had 2 honeymoons in the VI...one in 1996 on Tortola and more recently in 2018 on St. John. I'll always be an island girl at heart and my new husband loves it there too. Lucky for him. We're in our late 60s and plan to continue to go as often as possible...until we can't. We were getting geared up to buy a place down there but the hurricanes of 2017 changed all of that. We live in a quiet resort area of Florida now & love it here too so we'll continue to go back & forth.