My first trip to the islands was a college graduation present from my father in 1969. He took me and three of my college buddies. We sailed out of St Thomas into the BVI and back. Enjoyed partying at Bert Kilbride's place at Moskito Island and going through customs back then was optional. Have been many times since then including sailing down to St Croix on a 33 foot mono in the 70s. Was a part owner of a Gulfstar 50 back in the 80s that was in the Moorings fleet.

Learned that the biggest return on investment for being an owner had nothing to do with money. Riding back to EIS in a taxi after our charter, another fellow in the taxi kept complaining he was going to have Heineken's withdrawal in the OR the next morning. He then said he had been out on a Morgan Out Island 45 and asked what kind of boat we had been on. When I told him a Gulf Star 50, he asked why we chose that one, and I honestly replied, "Because I'm owner". I was very comfortable leaving out the fact that I only owned 10% of the boat. It was a quiet ride the rest of the time to the airport.

Many fond memories of the islands and I am still introducing neighbors, family members and classmates to the fun and beauty of the BVIs.