Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Originally Posted by MIDiver
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
I posted this before but the solution to the ball banging on the hull is easy and also helps with swinging room at Cooper. Bring the ball pendant to one bow cleat and tie it off. Run the line from the other bow cleat directly to the ball and back. The ball is now trapped between the hulls and can’t reach either one to bang on the hull.

We tie directly to the ball in some fields to minimize banging (does the same thing your illustration does). We have found that it is too difficult to tie to the ball with Boaty Balls - only FCFS balls work. Regardless CIBC is not the place for us.

It’s easy if you jump in the dinghy to run the second line.

Not that I'd ever want to wade into a 'How to Tie the Boat to a Mooring" debate (too much like the What's the Best Anchor or Best Point of Sail debates), but really? I need to launch the dinghy to hook up to a mooring ball "properly" now? All so the ball won't bang? If I thought the Catch the Mooring Ball show was entertaining before, I can't wait to see how having one line to the ball, then launching the dinghy to hook up line 2 goes - forget about the ensuing yelling between person at the helm and the dinghy. Or maybe I'll get impressed with the skill and grace of that yacht crew - but I wouldn't bet money on it.

And all this negates the fact that the bridle - the actual triangle formed by a proper bridle - is there to minimize the sailing that a catamaran (my primary boat) does when on a ball in a breeze. And the desire for a snubbing effect created by that shape (yeah, I know, that's what the painter is for some argue).

The goal is to get the ball smoothly, effectively, and securely. Having seen how my generally inexperienced crews do with the "traditional" techniques (which sometimes make me want to grab the ball by myself - and yes I can), I don't foresee any of them jumping in a dinghy to secure the second line. Nor do I see myself ever allowing it - given I am responsible for everyone's safety.

To each their own, obviously. But I am with MIDiver - there is not one of these bays that is so nice that if I don't like the setup that I won't go someplace else. YMMV

Keep Smiling!!!

Peter
s/y Time Will Tell (2019 Lagoon 42)
peter@syTimeWillTell.com