Originally Posted by Deepcut
Originally Posted by Time Will Tell
[quote=GeorgeC1][quote=MIDiver][quote=GeorgeC1]I posted this before but the solution to the ball banging on the hull is easy and also helps with swinging room at Cooper
We tie directly to the ball in some fields to minimize banging (does the same thing your illustration does). We have found that it is too difficult to tie to the ball with Boaty Balls - only FCFS balls work.

Keep Smiling!!!

I became a fan of timing directly to ball (especially Boatyball due to it's higher profile) especially at Cooper island due to it's notorious backwinding, putting boats at risk of minor bumping each other. Also the aggravating noise from ball hitting hulls.

I would not use this technique if significant weather is forecasted.

The technique is very simple. First grab ball in usual manner and then move the lines to the mooring itself. I have done it alone in dinghy and have also had mermaids jump in.

Like Deepcut we tie to ball in traditional manner and then take dinghy out to rerun lines one at a time to ball. Works well except that some of the Boaty Balls just don’t have enough room for two ropes to do a direct tie to the ball - depends on the ball.