We have vacationed in Sint Maarten/Saint Martin every year at least once or twice beginning in the mid 80s when i won a trip with Xerox, where I worked in sales.
We bought timeshares at Belair Hotel on the Dutch side. Beautiful resort on Little Bay next to Divi. We may return there as renters in the future.
This became our annual 2 to 3 week family vacation for more than 30 years. Many promises for significant improvement, too few kept.
Our kids are now grown and we are in our 70s. We were fortunate to sell our timeshares just before Irma and the pandemic.
We tried a villa at Beacon Hill last year but that is a much better option for younger folks that like more activity and excitement.
We all have our subjective views but I will simply list my own summary on the changes I have seen on SXM, "The Friendly Island".
1. Getting there is more difficult and expensive and getting home is even tougher. That is in part due to the airlines involved. If it is more profitable to deliver folks to esewhere in the Caribbean, they will accomodate.
2. The airport is a mess. Carribean corruption has made lots of money for many that results in difficulty to passengers arriving and departing SXM. I am confident this will improve but for now it is crazy.
3. Traffic is out of control. Too many people and cars with too few roads makes for yet another nightmare. This too, will improve when business people lose $. Especially restaurants.
4. The forced tip issue(service charge 15-20%) at so many restaurants is all about greed. Most of us have been appropriately generous in the past but because some few people are cheap, this has become an issue in order for some establishments to boost profits.
5. Most of the long term SXM lovers and many new, will continue to adjust their vacations to accomodate the "new SXM". Some won't. I wish everyone the vacation they hope for wherever that may be.