Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,951
Posts342,011
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 28
kim 18
Member Spotlight
ndfaninnc
ndfaninnc
Kannapolis, NC
Posts: 845
Joined: September 2006
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
12 members (sxm1986, CJIMI, charlie, SXMScubaman, Rover, SharonfromSXM, lbksxm, ggffrr11, 4 invisible), 431 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#341049 12/11/2025 08:40 AM
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
H
Husker Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
H
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
Anyone have experience staying in the Long Bay anchorage? Wind Guru is forecasting a north swell for the next couple days. Wonders how that affects that anchorage. Thanks.

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
Anchoring off Long Bay in any significant north swell is going to be dangerous. Even under normal conditions, it isn't a real overnight anchorage, and it's only comfortable in dead calm. Windguru shows a 12 second period from the north today; anchoring in less than 30 feet would probably put you in the breaking waves.
@Mal is just around the corner, he can tell you what the break is like in a north swell...

Last edited by Zanshin; 12/11/2025 10:01 AM.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
H
Husker Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
H
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
Thank you Zanshin! We'll give it a miss this time.

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
The swell is picking up..3 to 5 foot perfect waves breaking on the reef at Bomba's with a nice offshore breeze...and its building..

Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 238
Likes: 10
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 238
Likes: 10
Great anchorage but not with any swell...you'll have to check it out next time. I did see a monster hammerhead when diving on the anchor. I think suitable for overnight in settled conditions. We were backwinded. A few photos from out last visit below...

Attached Images
long-bay-virgin-gorda-5.jpg long-bay-virgin-gorda.jpg long-bay-virgin-gorda-2 (1).jpg
Last edited by Matt W; 12/11/2025 03:38 PM.
1 member likes this: cbf
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
The swell has jumped a couple of feet in size in just the last couple of hours here in Apple Bay..some really beautiful surfing waves right now..but a rocky night in north facing anchorages!

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
H
Husker Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
H
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
Thanks Matt and Mal. We skipped it this time and went up to North Sound. Very nice here tonight after yesterday's squalls and rolling around all night at Marina Cay.

1 member likes this: Matt W
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 475
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 475
The OP is asking about the anchorage at Long Bay, VG, not Tortola. But, sadly, the same applies to the Virgin Gorda anchorage. The northern exposure makes this anchorage dangerous if there is any northerly swell.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Originally Posted by YachtReprise
The OP is asking about the anchorage at Long Bay, VG, not Tortola. But, sadly, the same applies to the Virgin Gorda anchorage. The northern exposure makes this anchorage dangerous if there is any northerly swell.
Absolutely, ask the Wandering Hillbilly!

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,493
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,493
Likes: 5
Nice photos Matt!

Dan cheers

Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 238
Likes: 10
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 238
Likes: 10
Thanks Dan! @yachtreprise I think we are all referring to the VG Long Bay anchorage..what am I missing. Manpot looped in so he can share live reports of the incoming swell, but as you say the same applies even though he is on north shore of Tortola...cheers!

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
I have to admit that I mentioned Long Bay on Tortola in my post.

I've anchored at Long Bay off Virgin Gorda several times, but think that would get some swell as well, as @YachtReprise stated. And the anchorage is relatively shallow there; I only had a couple of feet below the keel and surely would have bottomed out in any significant swell.

I flee to the North Sound at any sign of a north swell, although tucking in at Long Bay (Diamon Day) at Little Jost is also a protected location in those conditions.


[Linked Image]
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
The swell dropped a couple of feet overnight..back to about 2 to 3 right now meaning most north facing anchorages should be OK.I'm heading over to CGB in a while so I'll report from there..

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 109
Likes: 2
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 109
Likes: 2
Matt, Your wonderful pictures brought back marvelous memories of VG and Long Bay. We used to do 9 days on STJ and 9 days on VG. We were land bound, but snorkeled out to the point many times.
I'm 85 now. My last trip snorkeling was to GC a year ago April. I would go by myself against my daughter's wishes. This last April I listened to them.
I lurk here on the forum for treasures like your pictures.
Happy Holidays to all.

1 member likes this: maineskier69

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5