Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,949
Posts342,004
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 29
kim 18
Member Spotlight
ChiTownHarry
ChiTownHarry
Chicago area & St-Martin
Posts: 769
Joined: January 2003
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
13 members (SANFILIP, JohnW, roosterhead, mgh, Relaxed, CaribLarry, Kelann, MrTim-BTV, 2tannedfannies, Rover, snuba, 2 invisible), 355 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#343044 01/27/2026 03:45 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 136
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 136
Good afternoon all, looking to fly into EIS in April. It's pretty astonishing how much cheaper flying a combination of Frontier/Intercaribbean/Spirit is compared to other carriers. I understand some of that may be because of having to pay for things like carry on bags, although I think I have it pegged where the extra fees aren't really that bad. Does anyone have any complete and total disaster stories so as not to go with the cheaper flights? The old saying is if anything is too good to be true....but to us, the airline flights down aren't worth the double pricing, and we spend our savings on a better experience while in the BVI. Curious for any feedback. Thank you in advance.

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,513
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,513
Likes: 78
IMHO..get your best deal to STT and ferry if you want reliable, honest ,travel.Many love flying into EIS and there's a lot of naysayers too. I am one of them.

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,272
Likes: 192
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,272
Likes: 192
Sorry, you are looking at booking THREE separate flights? Or am I not understanding you?


Carol Hill
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 136
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 136
Not booking three, but the best deal on kayak involves all three of those carriers

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 104
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 104
We always fly from St.Maarten to Tortola with winair. No Problems ever.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
Flying through St. Thomas would require an overnight for us, so we only fly to Tortola. There is a departure fee on ferries from the US, the ferries charge for bags and Tortola taxis are expensive. Add it all up and it would take us an extra day and not save money.

InterCaribbean has a terrible reputation due to cancelled and delayed flights, so we do not fly them. We don't fly Spirit either, and might fly Frontier if they had the only direct flights to a destination. I am not aware that those three airlines codeshare, so miss a flight and you have to buy new tickets.

Your best bet is American through Miami to Beef. Another option is Delta to San Juan and connect on Cape Air or Tradewinds. Or charter a plane if your group is large enough.

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
H
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
H
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
Booking well ahead to get a reasonable price, I prefer the AA direct from MIA. It cuts out the taxi and ferry from STT to Tortola or the extra flight from San Juan. Fewer segments means fewer things to go wrong.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,349
Likes: 3
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,349
Likes: 3
I just booked flights to/from MCo-EIS for 10k points one way. Nov-Dec Great price for a good fare.\

Great price for a good fare.

I actually booked another flight with the same itinerary for 8K points one way. March 2026 one way. March 2026 all on AA

Last edited by tpcook; 01/27/2026 10:39 PM.

tpcook
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Spirit is in their second bankruptcy in the last two years. Frontier is struggling, Intercarribean is a hot mess! What could go wrong!

2 members like this: knitsoftwear, Husker
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 602
Likes: 1
G
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 602
Likes: 1
There was an article last year about Spirit Air merging with Frontier (?). One of the post-article comments said: I hope after the merger, we still get the same crummy service we're use to!

Last edited by ggffrr11; 01/28/2026 09:40 AM.
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,272
Likes: 192
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,272
Likes: 192
George--agreed!!


Carol Hill
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,513
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,513
Likes: 78
For me flying from San Francisco..AA all the way, usually to Miami or Charlotte..short layover and on to St Thomas by lunchtime and I can hop on a 2/2.30 ferry if I wish..although I now spend a night on STT but certainly dont have to. On my way back if there are any problems I can fly with AA to SFO thro a half dozens places ...JFK Philly,Dallas etc and get back ..no worries.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 606
T
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
T
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 606
Tomorrow I'm on an AA nonstop from ORD to STT. The total for the roundtrip, nonstop both ways, was $23,500 plus $15.04! That is the best deal I've ever seen. United has had direct flights during high season from ORD to STT for years, but this is the first I've seen from AA.


Tom Garvey
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,272
Likes: 192
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,272
Likes: 192
I think you mean 23,500 miles??? laugh For $23,500, you could probably charter a jet!! grin


Carol Hill
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 606
T
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
T
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 606
Oh, yes, 23,500 miles. You're right, for $23,500 I could have invited some friends along!


Tom Garvey
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,272
Likes: 192
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,272
Likes: 192
Just had to pull your leg! smile Yes, that is a really good deal with miles!


Carol Hill
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,513
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,513
Likes: 78
See you here Tom...BTW that's a much better deal than my AA miles roundtrip SFO to STT...You really have to shop around these days..

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 136
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 136
That's incredible. I'm shopping ATL to STT the first of April, and it's no where near that price point.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
On April 1 you can get a ticket from Atlanta to Tortola for 8k American miles.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 602
Likes: 1
G
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 602
Likes: 1
My sister got DFW > MIA > EIS for 10k one way with a sub $200 upgrade to "business class" on the MI to EIS section (free luggage)

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 136
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 136
I'd love to wait for that deal.....but that's a little too close to departure date for us. We are coming April 4-12.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
The 10k tickets to EIS are still available on April 1. Try breaking your trip down into two one-way segments to get the best deal.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 325
Likes: 1
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 325
Likes: 1
We used to rely on Air Sunshine and Mo SJU-VG but several issues like taking off with the door open or motor
parts needed replaced but we did get there but barely made our connections in SJU// Also Cape Air last time
the plane wasn't working but they did taxi us to the Marina dock and put us on a plane to SJU. The best ever
was Air Bvi back around 1979 and onward with the pilot Wayn who we would socialize with at Mad Dogs.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5