No, I don't think they do either, but most don't make us feel rushed either. For me, typical French service is attentive at the beginning, and once my food is delivered the server doesn't come back to check and see if everything's ok. He knows it is. I can see him across the room, and if we make eye contact, he's at my table quickly to see what I need. He watches our wine glasses and sees that they're never empty. When he sees we're both finished with our meals he'll come and clear, bringing the dessert menu with him. After dessert, he doesn't return to the table until I ask for the check. I don't like a server who constantly stops by and asks if everything is OK, do I need anything. Probably my biggest pet peeve is a server who clears my husband's plate and asks if we want dessert while I'm still eating my entree. That's just rude. Most Americans are in too much of a hurry to get in and out of a restaurant to really enjoy a fine meal. I like the more relaxed tenor of European service.