Ordinarily, I would echo your sentiment... in that in any other place and time Club O's accommodations would not be our norm either. However, Club O is such a special place, and is so much more than the buildings and accommodations. As DoctorJ says above, we too have met lifelong friends (the good Doctor among them), in our twice a year stays. ...and unlike everyplace else we've ever stayed, we count members of the staff among those. We were on the island this past June and ran into a few of those staff members.. even sought out the office. I could not imagine doing that for anyplace else - anywhere in the world, we've been. We're glad we took the plunge years ago and gave staying there a try. It is truly a special place.
Yes, the owner situation is unfortunate, and I agree the current temporary setup is a far cry from what it was, but we were there to help support our friends.
We too have watched the owner situation play out down there for years, and to be fair it is a small number of owners causing the problems. The vast majority are on the same page, and trying to do the right thing. Hopefully, if anything good comes out of Irma, it will be that maybe they can sort that out. It will take longer than we all would want, but when it's back, if it's half the place it was - it will be worth it.
In the mean time, we've been back to the island once already, and we're counting down to an October trip. We'll spend time on the beach for sure, but more importantly we'll be there with some of our regular friends, and we'll be searching out our friends on the staff too! Club O is much more than a hotel....