Carol and I began coming in 2000 when I asked another fellow what 2 islands would you go to if you had the chance. He had traveled for years and years and suggested St. Thomas and St. Martin. So, my best friend for over 50 years, who had taught school with me for 35 years and had both just retired, and our wives, made our first trip to the Caribbean. Carol and I have been coming back to SXM every year since with more than one trip a year during a few of those years. We first stayed at the Mecure Simpson. All four of us loaded all our luggage in the rental car and with directions that the rental company gave us, headed to the resort. We pulled in to the place and had to go over a speed island. The car was so low to the road with all the luggage and the 4 or us that we got hung up on the bump. Everyone had to get out as well as the luggage so I could get over the bump. We were the only people in the place that spoke English. They had to get a cook in the restaurant to come to our table so we could order. Our friends had enough of the island, but we certainly haven't. We have been on the island for just about 3 weeks now and today we made a visit to Philipsburg to buy a few things, eat crepês along the boardwalk, visit with Kathy who has Grandma's Gift Shop near The Green House and tell all the people who try and hand Carol something outside a shop that she is extremely allergic to the ink on the cards. Hard not to laugh when she does it, but it works every time. One ship in today, but the streets were empty. So sad to see that!