So, got through and was given two sets of ticket numbers and told to go to refunds.aa.com which I did. Entered the numbers in and probably because they are inundated, the site crashed several times. Tried my wife's which was on air miles and was informed to dial another number. So did this and got a nice lady from Dallas who organized the lot for me even though it wasn't strictly her dept and said the miles and tax would be credited back in 24 hours and the refund about 7 days, so we will see. Looking good though. Warning for others who have to go through, this just be very careful if you do this online. First, I would suggest very early am in the morning or well after midnight and watch the checked boxes as they are small and can easily skip the part where you already agree to accepting a 20% voucher(including their terms) for another flight as opposed to checking the box which states "decline".

As a matter of interest, I did bring this up before but no replies. I was reading the contract on my villa rental regarding a full or partial refund, as it clearly states Force Majeure(acts of god, etc) that includes airport closures. It depends how one defines airport closures? I presume it classifies as it's closed to our incoming flight that is cancelled? I did also have the opportunity of not paying the balance on my credit card that is due tomorrow but didnt feel this was ethical.
I honestly can't see us returning this year, mainly because of my wife's health condition and just don't think its worth chancing it further in view of what is going on and until we are totally all out of the woods and who knows what might happen in between so felt I should ask for a refund in the circumstances, even though they are quite happy to re-schedule when convenient.

Obviously like many others, would certainly do this when convenient but would rather have the money in hand so to speak and not rely on any unknowns? Is my thinking flawed here and advice appreciated. Thx.