As a Moorings crew in the late 80s, we were required to monitor the VHF at all times in order to assist any
Moorings bareboaters. One evening, our Morgan 60' schooner (who remembers those?) 'Flying Ginny V' was on a mooring at
Cooper Island. Our charter guests were ashore having dinner, and the first mate and I were relaxing onboard, sundowners in-hand.

We saw a Go Vacations boat (who remembers THOSE?) come in and attempt to anchor in the fading light.
Of course they had trouble getting the hook set in the grass at Manchioneel Bay, and dragged their anchor
back and forth among other boats who'd anchored outside the mooring field.

While finishing our sundowners we hear this conversation on VHF:

Go Vacations #9: (Go Vacation boats had numbers, not names) Go Vacations base, this is Go Vacations #9. We can't
get our anchor to hold. We are at Cooper Island.

Go Vacations Base: You not allowed to anchor at Cooper Island. Remember your chart briefing. Please go find a mooring.

GoVac #9: There are no moorings left and the anchor won't hold. We want to come back
to the base. [ Go Vacations was based in Maya cove, across the Channel]

GoVac Base: It'll be dark soon. Leave immediately. Do not attempt to enter Maya cove at night,
We'll meet you off the entrance and guide you in.

With that, Go Vacations #9 motored off in the fading light. 30 minutes later we hear a ladies voice:

GoVac #9: Go vacation base! Go vacations base! There is a boat following us!

GoVac Base: Is he trying to board you?

GoVac #9: No, but he's been following us...real close behind us!

GoVac Base: OK, just keep going. We have your lights in sight.

<a few minutes later>

GoVac #9: Our boat won't move! It's just stopped!

GoVac Base: What do you mean "it stopped"? <much concern in is voice>

GoVac #9: The engine is on but the boat won't move.

GoVac Base: We are coming out to you! The chase boat is leaving now.

And that's all we heard...until the next morning. At 0800 we hear on the Moorings channel:

"Moorings, Moorings. This is Go Vacations Base."

<I'm thinking: Why would Go vacations base ever call the Moorings base?>

Moorings Base: <puzzled> GoVac base this is the Moorings. What can we do for you?

GoVac Base: It seems one of our charterers accidentally towed in one of your boats last night.

Moorings base: Say again...?

GoVac Base: It seems they snagged your charter's anchor lines. We have your boat here at Maya cove.

Moorings Base: ???!!! Umm. Yeah, call us on the phone!

The base later told me that the towed boat's anchor that was hanging down 30' had snagged the
bottom outside Maya Cove, stopping both boats dead in the water until the GV chase boat arrived to sort things out!

Later in the week we had our own "incident" with Go Vacations #9 at Bitter End. But that's another story!

Leaopard 47 Cat - Magic Carpet
Got the sun on my shoulders, and my toes in the sand...