After 20 years and maybe 35 charters, and charter boat ownership, 2018 we had a an interesting day.

Left Trellis Bay about 2pm heading to Marina Cay for water (when they were still open for business). Light hazy overcast, otherwise clear, calm day.

Because I was so experienced, and so knowledgeable, and had done the cruise so many times.... I missed the red mark just southwest of Marina Cay and took a 42' cat hard up on the coral at about 6 knots.

It took an actual salvage team with balloons four hours to free the yacht. A round of applause from the enthralled and entertained boats safely moored at Marina Cay. One French fellow dinghied up to the stern in the midst of the salvage (and it was a salvage) and said," Eh bien- how much does it cost to free your boat?"

We slunk into the Pussers and drank heavily.

No damage to the boat. The salvors charged for one level down from full salvage- cost us $3000. My ego? Not a ding or a dent. The only people who don't have stories are those folks who keep their boats tied up at the pier!

Fiberglass and metal can be replaced or rebuilt- as long as no one is killed or hurt, it's a good day!

Fair winds-

JAM
Annapolis, Md