Well there was the time I left my wife and sister-in-law on the dock at Leverick. We were travelling with our 2 young sons and needed to get water. It was about noon so there wasn't anyone on the docks. Not a problem. I explained to the s-in-l that I'd pull up close to the dock, she would step off, take the stern line and wrap it around a cleat. I didn't need it pretty, just wrap it well enough so it would hold until we got settled in. Told my wife to step off and secure a midships line to another cleat after the stern was secure.

So we head into the dock, both ladies step off but instead of wrapping, my s-in-l decided to just hold the line. Wind started blowing the bow off (in a mono) so my wife couldn't get her midships line secure. I'm shouting, I mean asking nicely, for my s-in-l to wrap the damn line but she doesn't. Finally told both of them to let go that they would be swimming soon since the wind had pushed the bow way off the dock. With an unsecured stern line there was no way I could pivot the bow back towards the dock.

So there I am, motoring off with my two young sons leaving 2/3 of my adult crew on the dock waving at us. We tooled around a bit while I gave them instructions in how to toss a line. My wife meanwhile went up the dock, got help, and we easily got secured on the next pass.

Last edited by louismcc; 06/10/2020 11:44 PM.

Louis from Houston