I am 73 years old and currently my wife and I live in Boston. Many years ago my law partner and I had an office in Boston where we both practiced and had both become very bored with it. We were both sailors having boats in Narragansett Bay. One dreary evening over a couple beers at our favorite bar we got to discussing what to do with our lives and it came to our attention that the only thing we really knew how to do was sailing and beer so the logical thing to do was start a brewery in the Caribbean. We first went to the Turks and Caicos but that did not work out. A friend who sailed out out of the BVI and owned Ipswich Brewing recommended Tortola so off we went. That was 1994. We both fell in love with the place right off the bat. So we brought the wives down and they felt the same. At first I stayed in an apartment on Zion hill road owned by a local policeman whom I became great friends with. We started and endless saga of getting the appropriate business licenses which at that time was very difficult for an off islander. After several
years and lots of stories we finally got the paperwork finished successfully. Then while looking for a location, my partner got sick and eventually passed away. He was not only my business partner but also my best friend. We were both Vietnam vets and had made connections with a number of vets on Tortola including Charles Tobias who owned Pussers. After my partner passed I pretty much lost interest in business of any kind. In and about 2002 after a divorce I closed down the law firm and went back to Tortola. After much searching I bought a Morgan 46 ketch and moved aboard. I basically lived aboard until Hurricane Irma ate her in 20017. Now I am back in the states The BVI had become my home and I loved it there. I had wonderful friends, both sailors and dirt dwellers. I met great people from all over the world and the sailing was spectacular. Now I too have some physical problems and probably will not be sailing the BVI ever again but I have wonderful memories and it costs nothing to dream. The name of my Morgan was Adelia Jo and we had a slip in Sea Cows bay for any of you may have run across us. My wife and I went back for a month last year and it just seemed like all had changed except for the beauty of the place Most of my old friends are gone either moved or passed on so enjoy it while you can and don't miss a day.