Really? Have you flown with WestJet, Scubaman? I certainly don't agree with either you or George!

We have always used WestJet when flying to SXM, as well as many other locations We also fly Air Canada regularly and the occasional US mainline carrier. While I have never flown Frontier or Spirit in the USA (and would not likely have had any interest in doing so anyway); based on what I have read of them, they both seem to be minimum-service, ultra-low-cost carriers at the low-end of the ratings.

Sunwing is a Canadian low-cost (not ultra) airline. It operates mostly as a vacation charter airline, with limited scheduled flights and a limited number of aircraft, so not really in the same category, IMO. If the purchase rumour is true, I suspect Sunwing will be used to support WestJet Vacations flights, which could be a good fit.

WestJet itself used to be a low-cost carrier when it first started many years ago, but those days are long gone. It is now Canada's second mainline, scheduled airline. Its prices IME are generally comparable to Air Canada.

All airlines have been struggling with passenger loads, flight crew shortages, and changing government regulations, amongst other issues during the pandemic. This has led to an extraordinary and unfortunate number of schedule changes and flight cancellations; but not just with WestJet. So I tend to discount to some degree complaints made as a result of those issues. If you choose to travel during a pandemic, then you have to be flexible and learn to live with the resultant issues, even if they are frustrating. Otherwise it might perhaps be a better choice to just stay home.

While there has been the occasional exception, I generally have nothing but praise for WestJet gate and flight crews. At times in the past they have even been exceptional in solving a problem. I have certainly had no more issues than any other mainline carrier that I have flown with over the years, whether in Canada, the USA, or Europe. So no real negativity from me.

Maybe George (or you) could explain why WestJet is such a "negative"?