Back at BEYC after a brief trip to Anegada and getting my jerk mango lobster fix at Wonky Dog. The mooring field in Anegada was perhaps 30% full. This do seem to be picking up a bit in north sound. We will probably stay here tonight, supposed to be windy tonight and the return from Anegada yesterday was quite rough.

I finally tracked down an issue that has been bothering me: fuel tanks becoming unbalanced. Yesterday was particularly dramatic - we left Anegada with about 3/4 fuel in each tank, when we arrived the starboard tank was full and the port tank half full. The generator on this boat feeds from the starboard tank and there is a pump and transfer line from port to starboard, but that is the opposite of what I would need to rebalance the tanks.

The upshot is that shutoff valves for the transfer fuel line should be closed unless the transfer pump is being used, especially in a seaway, as there must be a check valve in the transfer line (or the pump itself acts as a check valve) or fuel will slosh from the port to the starboard tank. Moorings tech staff is apparently unaware of this.

The issue is complicated by the fact that the generator was moved from the port to the starboard side some time during the 5 year production run, the transfer pump was also moved, and the manual has inconsistencies.

M4000 "Lio Kai"