Hi All, I just stumbled on this while doing some research. We are chartering in February and hired a captain through our charter company. This will be our third trip this way. While several of us are boat owners, we don't want the responsibility, but also want local knowledge. Are you all saying that it's up to the guests to know where and where not to moor, anchor, etc., when a professional captain is assigned? We have never really questioned our local captains in the past and trust that they know what to do and what not to do. And if designated by the Charter company, we basically have been told that the captains are vetted and understand the rules of the road and what the charter company allows. No offence, but are you saying that visitors like us are "entitled? We hired and paid for a service specifically to avoid worrying about these details. I am genuinely curious, are our expectations off base? This is something I will certainly pay attention to on the next trip.
Originally Posted by MIDiver
Originally Posted by RatmansWife
One night this week two power cats overnighted on yellow mooring balls on Diamond Reef; I got photos. The next morning I paddled out and told two guys on one boat that yellow balls are for professional dive boats. They said they had a professional captain who had been doing this for ten years and knew what he was doing.

Boat identified, I called the charter company to speak with the manager, who was lovely. They redline that area unless there is a professional captain. These guys had hired their own captain, whom I had seen grab the ball. All this company's boats have trackers, and she said she would follow up. That boat stayed until noon, so 18 hours on a yellow ball.

The other boat was leaving, so I didn't try to follow up. Hoping word gets out people are being watched.

There is so much entitlement out there……

But I am confused - redlined or not the yellow balls are not for overnight use. By anyone.

Hi All, I just stumbled on this while doing some research. We are chartering in February and hired a captain through our charter company. This will be our third trip with a hired local captain. While several of us are boat owners, we don't want the responsibility, but also appreciate local knowledge. Are you all saying that it's up to the guests to know where and where not to moor, anchor, etc., when a professional captain is assigned? We have never really questioned our local captains in the past and trust that they know what to do and what not to do. And if designated by the Charter company, we basically have been told that the captains are vetted and understand the rules of the road and what the charter company allows. No offence, but are you saying that visitors like us are "entitled? We hired and paid for a service specifically to avoid worrying about these details. I am genuinely curious, are our expectations off base? This is something I will certainly pay attention to on the next trip.