Most of our trips have been on mono's and we've had pretty good luck keeping things cold without having to add much if any ice; I hate running around picking up ice and usually we don't but a few times we had to. We usually are just two so we are able to stock up the first night and except for adding some perishables along the way we do fine. We try to keep the fridge full, avoid opening it frequently, start out with a couple of bags of ice and several frozen/cold items added to the mix. Doing that and cooking the things that tend to spoil easily early on the trip we rarely need to add much ice.

But I have noticed a few times the compressor runs 24/7 and never catches up even on shore power. Actually, it usually never does catch up but several times I have been able to cut the thermostat back enough that the compressor stopped and I knew it was getting close to catching up.

That is a long winded way to ask my actual question. We are going to be on a cat this time. I absolutly hate having to stoop down to see inside of a front opening fridge. Question is, if you have to put ice in there what do you do. It seems like it's easier on a mono because there is usually some space at the bottom to put ice so it is less intrusive. On a front opening one it seems like it just has to go on one of the shelves and take up some space. What do you do?

Life involves risks, take some prudent ones (NOT with the BVI ferries)!