windward2c said:
Seperate but related: We ALWAYS bring a cooler (and when I have more than 6 quests I always ask charter company for a second cooler). We keep all ice for cocktails and all our drinks in there (just cycle in new one every two days). yes it melts but in the BVI (all of the islands even Windwards) it is not even a thought (Delieverance). Yes Ik it hurts to pay for ice but I rationalize it relative to the overall cost of the vacation it is pennies. I dont know how to charter wo it? Am I the exception?

Some of the mixologist will note that ice from the coolers is not really "rock hard" and will melt very rapidly in many alcohol mixtures. The blender crowd many chime in with their own issues with cooler stored ice. The cooler, position in or out of the sun, the amount and age of ice, along with the condition of the ice when it went into the cooler are all a factor. We go through a lot of ice and water and stopped worrying or fretting about it long ago. All the refrigerated consumables go in the coolers and hopefully someone takes ownership and executes as the beer/cooler captain(this person may want to double as or partner with the dinghy captain?. For drinks we hope to have a top loading deep freeze to keep a couple of bags of rock hard ice used for the evening cocktails. Flame me if you must... but, all ice is not equal coming out of the bag.

Going way back to the early CSY and Moorings days the standard plan was to load the top loading freezers with the goods and then dump/fill the all the empty space with ice. Then eat your way to the bottom from the top during the trip.

In any case we always try to have two bags of ice "frozen" somewhere on the boat.