StormJib said:
We have found St. Martin, St. Barts, and Antigua not worth the trouble of dragging a boat with us.

StormJib, are you implying that it is simply more efficient to visit these islands via a land-based trip? Or that the logistics of sailing at those locations is just a pain? After 10+ charters in the BVIs and recently spending three weeks down there, we too are looking for new sailing grounds. We have sailed the SVIs and USVIs, so we were thinking of a one-way from Antigua to St. Martin for our next trip, stopping at the three islands you mentioned as well as Barbuda, St. Kitts and Nevis. Looks like nice beam or broad reach sailing for the most part with many different islands to see. Would doing the one-way change your opinion about sailing the islands you mentioned?

Like the OP, we are a family of five with almost the same age kids. I figured a one-way charter would offer us the opportunity to see a little of each island over a roughly two week period, but with the opportunity to move on if we get bored. Kind of embarrassing to admit, but my family does get bored rather easily and while we like some beach time, we also like a little infrastructure and options while vacationing. As nice as the BVIs are, after a while the beaches, bars, restaurants, shopping, etc... all start to seem the same. Maybe an Antigua-St. Martin trip would offer up a little more variety?

To the OP, if you haven't been to the SVIs yet they might be the perfect next step. Fly to San Juan and charter out of Fajardo for easy and relatively cheap travel. There are some mooring balls, but you would be anchoring a fair amount. No slips though once you leave the main island. Plenty to explore and see, and the USVI is within range if you want to change it up a bit. If you have a little time before or after the charter there is plenty to see and do in Puerto Rico as well (rain forest, Old San Juan, etc...). Never have sailed the Abacos so I can't compare to it.