I agree, there are times when you just shouldn't tie up to the dock, problem is you will never stop someone inexperienced from doing it if they don't know any better.

Point is, now the damage is done, and now the dock wreaks havoc on dinghy's even in not so bad conditions. It definitely needs some lower boards replaced to prevent dinghy's from getting locked under it between swells, that will prevent a lot of damage potential on it's own... and putting lots of good cleats out near the end will at least give people something to tie up to that keeps the dinghy's further from where the swells peak into waves about mid-dock. Banging into a dock that has soft sides on it is no problem, but the way it is now is definitely destructive in all but the calmest conditions.

I just don't think it would be that difficult to go in at low tide and screw some new boards down the sides to prevent dinghy's from riding under it, and reinforcing some good cleats topsides so people don't tie to the side boards which in effect rips the boards off whenever the dinghy's pull too hard on them.

I'm no dock expert, but am I wrong in thinking that this could be rectified fairly easily?