Not sure if this was a factor, but I suspect it may well have been. Last February I went through a bit of an ordeal with a Cape Air flight, in fact we were half way across the tarmac when they pulled us out of the line and sent us back inside. The computer "system" they use is actually a couple different systems that have the unique ability of not interfacing with each other. The check in desk uses one system, the desk at the actual departure gate uses another and operations uses a third. That's why they all run around with a walkie talkie on their hip.
Our whole issue? Operations didn't get the weight of our 2 carry on bags when check in desk changed our flight. Guy from operations who pulled us from line could have looked at the weight written on the tag, but that isn't his job.
Go back to check in desk and girl there says "What are you doing back here". Tell her what happened, go through entire process again, go back down to the gate and figured I'd ask them to double check it. Nope, can't get into that info from here. Go back upstairs, girl gets on her radio to operations, operations says they have it. Go back downstairs. Just before the next flight boards, name is called, need to go upstairs and have bags weighed. Uhhh, weight is written right on the Cape Air tag. Finally get that all cleared up, go out to board, operations guy takes our bags, "they can't go on this flight, we don't have the weight on our manifest". Got to go on flight and watched as they threw bags into another plane.

My foot fits right into my shoe and my shoe will fit right into your...