FLJim said:
I would make sure the boat has an autopilot - it keeps the boat in the wind while you raise sails, holds a course while trimming sails, even does tacks while you're busy with sheets. Then hire a skipper for a day to show you how to do all that.

My wife was very nervous the first time we went as just a couple, but was quite happy by the end of the trip.

We've done this many times since I did sailing school in 2015. Sweet Christine took Learn to Sail in 2008, but did not enjoy classes. The two of us went out for our very first bareboat charter in 2013 with a skipper the first two days with CYOA's Mei Nu Jenneau 44i and she was very comfortable having the skipper on board. It gave her a chance to try mooring with an extra set of hands on the boat. After we dropped the skipper off she was a bit more anxious, but we were able to handle the boat safely. After three years, her favorite days are long sails with just the two of us. She is a prize hooker and anchor tender.

On a subsequent trip, we chartered a 36-foot monohull that was waiting on a part for the auto-pilot. The choice was to wait for the part to come in and the repair or head out. Sweet Christine wanted to get on the water. She got a lot of helm time that trip, including Anegada. But, I did miss Otto! She's a better sailor every trip.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada