A/C with Genset.

We owned an older boat for many years in the Northeast, and are very comfortable with a boat that has seen it's share of use. On our trips to the BVI, we have always chartered older monohulls from 2nd and 3rd tier companies, as the look of the boat hasn't been very important to us, as long as all of the systems are in good working order, and we could keep the cost down to enable us to go more frequently.

On our last trip this past July, we brought our kids for the first time (6 & 9yo). After returning from our 11day charter, I asked everyone, "What is the number one thing you would change on our boat for the next time we go to the BVI?" (Size, Catamaran, A/C, newer, etc.) The unanimous response (from the kids and wife) was "A/C" (and not just when we were docked for the 2 out of 11 nights of the trip).

And I tend to agree with them. I am getting tired of the 'Caribbean fire drill' of having to close/open the hatches 2-3 times a night. I feel like I will get a much better sleep, which over the course of 11-14days really makes a difference. That said, due to our work schedules, we always go in July/August months, which obviously contributes to our opinion. Regardless, the next time we charter, we will probably almost double our usual budget to move up to a larger boat, with the sole reason being A/C.