steleehin said:
I have chartered 3 times and have never attended the chart briefing .
I have also always included annegada on my trips .
I am just wondering is a briefing required on other charters.
I told the girl when she Said I should attend the briefing. Did the islands move ?

I know I was a smart [censored] but I always stay the night before , do the boat brief and head out , I don't want unnecessary nonsense jolding us up .
Just wondering what the feeling is in the community on chart briefings for repeat charterers

First off welcome to TTOL.

I am not sure where to start on this one. I do not have your sailing resume in front of me so I will try to tread lightly. I am part of the management team at CYOA. I have been working there for the better part of nine years. I have done literally hundreds of briefings. I also have been boating my entire adult life. I am fifty so you can figure out that math. I also have owned six different boats personally. There are anchorages in the BVI's that I still have not been to. Every week we send out boats and our briefers have constantly updated local knowledge. From missing markers, changes in moorings or anchorages, to information about entertainment.

I do not know how long a Moorings Chart briefing takes but I am sure it is not that long. Frankly if you are not willing to invest an hour or two of your time in the briefing process so that they can throw you the keys to someones pride and joy you shouldn't be chartering.

We all love the fun stuff, but it is serious business operating a complex, large and very expensive boat in unfamiliar waters. If you seriously think after three trips, twenty one whole days in these waters and likely a year or two between trips you have "local" knowledge you are either a phenomenally talented sailor or you haven't had enough experience to understand the ramifications when things do not go the right way. You come here to slow down and relax. Start that process with your time on the dock. Take a deep breath, look around, check the boat learn from the briefer and stay safe. That is time well spent the beach bar will still be there when you arrive.

Last edited by CaptainJay; 09/10/2016 07:35 AM.