I just got back a few days ago. Chartered a 43pc from Moorings for the first time as captain. I couldn't believe how easy the process was. We did the sleep aboard so I could become familiar with the boat. When I arrived it was around 6pm. I asked about the chart briefing and got kind of a strange look like they didn't have one scheduled. I wanted to get it over with that night as I thought that was part of the value and purpose of the sleep aboard. I was told I didn't have to attend if I didn't want to! I mentioned that I took it online through my NauticEd course 4 times and they said "oh then you're good". I mainly wanted it for the weather updates. Everything was shockingly simple. Few forms to initial, no test questions on check out, etc. I would have welcomed a more thorough process but just figured that's the way it's done. We had a great week and made it back without a scratch even in some very heavy winds late in the week. I did make two bad decisions and I'm thankful everything worked out. First, I overnighted two nights in White Bay on Jost. The second night had some swells that kept most of us awake throughout the night. For all I know they were very minimal but I really had nothing to compare them too. I know many here have talked about them getting pretty dangerous. I just don't know where we fell on that scale. Second, with the advice of a couple of very well respected people on this site, I took the pass between Beef Is. airport and Little Camanoe. I kept thinking it was one of the no go zones but it was recommended I go that way. When i came to the cardinal marker my crew of airline pilots thought I should go to the left of it. Thankfully, I had printed a reference diagram of the markers and determined rather last minute I should stay to the right of it!! As we passed, I saw the huge rock just under the surface. Other than that the passage was easy.

[Linked Image]