GaKaye said:
You can roast rutabagas (which are not the same as turnips, IMHO). I cube them and roast them along with other root veggies like sweet potatoes, and with winter squash. The rutabaga is denser, so I usually cut them into slightly smaller pieces so that everything cooks in the same time frame. As much as I love roasted veggies, I still prefer rutabagas boiled and mashed.

Turnips are smaller than rutabagas, and are never waxed. Rutabagas are sweeter than turnips, and are actually a cross between cabbage and turnips.

That said, my first husband, who came from Lynn, insisted that rutabagas were turnips; so clearly it's a regional distinction.

Correct!

From Wikipedia: For the Drosophila gene, see Rutabaga (gene). For similar vegetables also called "turnip", see Turnip (disambiguation).

The rutabaga, swede (from Swedish turnip), or yellow turnip (Brassica napobrassica, or Brassica napus var. napobrassica, or Brassica napus subsp. rapifera) is a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip (See Triangle of U). The roots are prepared for food in a variety of ways, and its leaves can also be eaten as a leaf vegetable.