I just returned home from a three day visit to SXM to survey the damage to our villa, and after catching up on all the posts since the 10th, I decided I had to share my observations because I see there are still way to many self-rightous hand wringers, nay-sayers, doubting Thomases, and fair weather friends still posting here (you know who you are).
We were on the AA flight from Miami on the 10th. The atmosphere in the waiting area in Miami was palpable, not with fear and trepidation, but with excitement and anticipation. My guess is that a healthy percentage of those travelers were residents returning to the island or family members wanting to check in on their loved ones. There were also many like our group who wanted to go in and see what they need do to resurrect their properties, and there were quite a few construction people as well. Once on the plane, there was much, much more chatter than on any flight I've been on in a long time. It was steadily raining all day and as the plane approached SXM, I couldn't even see the ground until a few seconds before landing. Once we landed, the was an outburst of applause, not because the pilot executed a skillful landing, but because the landing was on SXM soil. We were put on buses to take us to the makeshift arrival hall, and I was near the front of the first group. As we approached the entrance, the very first face I saw was Dave from Topper's Rhum, who was fist-pumping our arrival - a very welcome sight indeed. Once inside the hall, I saw the beautiful carnival dancers and the island band, and was handed a rum punch. Then it kind of hit me all at once. It was like a movie scene where you're standing in the middle of a room, and the room is spinning all around you. I was bathed in a magical feeling and my heart was overcome with joy. I was especially happy for the people who were returning home and ready to dig in to start their rebuilding journey. The rain kept falling, but nobody's spirits were dampened.
Once we got to the villa, we did a initial walk through, but since it had already been a long and emotionally exhausting day, we headed down to the Greenhouse for dinner. It wasn't very busy, but it was good to see some familiar faces. The menu was limited, but the food was still good.
Wednesday was running around day of people to see and things to do. One of the stops was in Philipsburg, and we had a very pleasant lunch at Sabor, a Columbian diner near the end of Pondfill Road. A real treat if you're ever in the vicinity. Wednesday evening, we wanted to go to Harry's for some drinks and dinner, but it was so crowded that there was barely room to stand, let alone get a table for dinner. So we ended up at Topper's for karaoke night. Again, not terribly busy and a limited menu, but those there were definitely enjoying themselves. I had a brief conversation with Topper, who mentioned he had lost his house and boat, and that the restaurant was the only thing left. To be clear, he wasn't moaning and complaining, he was just stating a fact. (I might be wrong, but I think he probably loves the restaurant more than his home or boat anyway). Thursday night, our last night, we went to Sale & Pepe. As we walked in, two of us commented at the same time "What hurricane?" - it was that crowded. It was my first time there, and the food is terrific.
The real point of this post however, is that during these three jam packed days, we had many business related meetings and quite a few casual encounters. The thing that came across to me is that nobody is wallowing in self pity. Instead, they are all already waist deep in rebuilding their lives and businesses. The biggest thing that surprised me was the amount of traffic on the roads. It was like high season on steroids, and remember, none of it was tourist traffic. Everyone is out and about and doing what they have to do. I have a theory. If someone is basically a happy and productive person with a positive attitude, a setback is not going to change their outlook on life or the way they live it. Just as yesterday, they will still be happy and productive again tomorrow. Conversely, if a miserable person wins the $100 million lottery today, they're still going to be a miserable person tomorrow.
Okay, there is still debris strewn all over the place, and signs of the damage is still readily visible. However, everybody I spoke to (not just my opinion here) is that they are amazed at all the progress that has taken place over just five weeks time. My message to all you doubters and other pessimists is CUT IT OUT!! Things are on their way back, and faster than you can imagine. So if you really want to do something positive, go on your scheduled (or unscheduled for that matter) trips if you love the island as much as you say do do, and really help it recover even faster. The train is about to leave the station to a new beginning. Don't miss it!